[Xastir-Dev] Word's out: Xastir on Windows...

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Wed Feb 5 15:52:05 EST 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <hacker at tc.fluke.com> writes:

Curt> I let it slip on the APRSSIG already: WE7U-14 is currently an
Curt> Xastir instance running under Cygwin on an NT4 box.

Congratulations!

Curt> Charles Suprin has been running Xastir on Windows for several
Curt> months.  Tim Schall and I tried it yesterday, Tim using XP and
Curt> me using NT4.  On NT4 it appears stable, but I don't have a lot
Curt> of runtime with it yet.  On XP it's less than stable on Tim's
Curt> box.  Charles has been running it on XP and is happy with it.

Good news indeed.  What version?  Are you compiling from CVS or only
doing the occasional build?

Curt> Xastir should work under Cygwin on Windows
Curt> 95/95b/98/98SE/ME/NT4/XP.  Please try a few of these
Curt> configurations and report your findings back to the list.
Curt> Instructions for Cygwin are in the README.1ST file.

Curt> There's more work to be done to get it to link easily.  The
Curt> default linker line doesn't work on Cygwin: You need to use the
Curt> one specified in README.1ST instead.  After that, the make
Curt> install and execution of Xastir work just fine.

Sounds like some time with configure.in may be in order.

Curt> Can I get some help from the Make/Configure experts in order to
Curt> make Cygwin installation work out-of-the-box?

Once I get my Win98 machine compiling with Cygwin, I'll get right to
it.  I will be able to test serial TNC as well as net.

Curt> Also: "wget" isn't working yet under Cygwin.  The extra map
Curt> libraries haven't been tried either.  What I've tried of the
Curt> built-in maps has worked so far though.  You put the maps under
Curt> /cygwin/usr/local/bin/xastir/maps instead of
Curt> /usr/local/bin/xastir/maps.

That's something that should be fixed, don't you think?  Everything
should be the same.  The work I've done with compiling stuff for
Cygwin so far has done the right thing with /usr/local, etc., so this
shouldn't be that tough to fix.

Jack.
(watch out, WinAPRS, there's a new kid in town)
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org