[Xastir-Dev] What does "local" mean?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jan 10 15:27:12 EST 2003

Moving this to the xastir-dev mailing list.

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Reuven Z Gevaryahu wrote:

> Are we reinventing the wheel? We already have the ST_LOCAL flag, and the
> tracking system already checks ST_LOCAL and sets TR_LOCAL in its records
> of the previous positions. Thus we have a reasonable record of which
> posits are local and which aren't. As for digipeats of the same packet,
> It is handled above (~line 8750 db.c). Thus when we won't unset ST_LOCAL
> (db.c 8836) for echos of the same packet. (If I'm understading the code).

We wish to use ST_LOCAL for this, yes.  ST_VIATNC is the other flag
bit I was referring to.

Right now, the decoding doesn't take into account the wide-area
digi's and how they do or don't affect the '*' in the header.  We
need to fix that.

> As I understand Jack's complaint was about a flaw in the GUI, and I
> agree that we should rename the menu "via tnc" and create a second
> identical menu that tests ST_LOCAL instead of ST_VIATNC.

Yea.

> It would similarly be possable to
> draw only local stations by adding an option to the stations menu, much
> like the current "local" option that checks ST_VIATNC.

Yep.

> This is sorta how the igate code tracks RF/nonRF stations- if the past
> 20 packets were not RF, assume it is out of range. (~line 8800 db.c)

Yea, but I think we'd want a much longer expire on them, that's why
I suggested the delete-from-database time, except it would be
checking the "last-heard-direct" timer, and if too old, resetting
the ST_LOCAL bit for that station.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com