[Xastir-Dev] new feature added

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Thu Jan 30 15:45:30 EST 2003

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > I added a new toggle to prevent the initial re-index of maps on
> > startup (default is to do the index) for those of us with LARGE
> > numbers of maps.
>
> Huh?  I have large numbers of maps, and the code that was in place
> worked very quickly.  I'm wondering if perhaps you were running an
> older version of Xastir that wasn't as efficient?

I keep up with cvs (challenge sometimes! :) ), but my laptop (P3/1G) with
200k maps takes around 5 minutes to startup... When I added that
directory to another machine via NFS it took more than 10 minutes.
Really annoying when trying to debug problems and restarting all the
time.  Now I can stop changing permissions on map directories to block
maps.

> > I also moved the re-index button to the map pulldown
> > (instead of the configure pulldown.)
>
> I didn't want it there 'cuz it's not used as much as the other
> buttons, but it's not a big deal.  I just though of it more as
> belonging to the setup/config category than the normal run-time
> operations.

Ok, I was always trying to find it, when I added maps I naturally went
for the map chooser, and always forgot to go reindex.

> > I am wondering if we should make the re-index function delete missing
> > maps, since we pushed the button we probably have a reason to make the
> > index/map chooser brought up to date, which would include removing old
> > data.  (Instead of the current state, that takes several re-indexes to
> > "age" them out of the list.)
>
> I had it working that way for a while, but the last changes I did to
> the indexing functions caused me to go back to the non-delete mode.
> You're welcome to try to put that back in again, but be careful not
> to slow down the current re-indexing when you do it.

I'll look at it again, I definately do not want to slow anything down,
I just want to make it more intuitive for the users.

Chris.