[Xastir-Dev] Objects not plotting

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jul 22 16:38:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, dale huguley wrote:

> I have been playing with the expiration time for some objects out of
> WxSvr and notice any character other that a lower case "z" as the final
> character of the time stamp causes the object not to plot in xastir.  Is
> there an over-riding reason for this?

Yea.  The example in the spec specified a 'z'.  ;-)

Looks like an oversight to me.  We should handle any of the APRS
time formats for objects.

> I would think the time stamp
> would be ignored for the most part since the system clocks are all over
> the place as far as time.

Agreed.  We don't do much with APRS time itself.  Looks like we use
it in this case to invalidate the object decoding though, and
shouldn't.

> I am moving to having the expiration time in
> zulu - and a "u" (for UTC) for an object which doesn't have an explicit
> expiration time.  As a general rule, the ones with a "u" will be
> transmited for 2 hours then removed from the re-transmission queue.

Why not use "items" instead for things that don't have an expire
time?  If time isn't important, "item" format seems the way to go.
Oh wait, do you want them to show up on ALL of the APRS clients?  hi
hi

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com