[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 10 22:30:13 EDT 2003

I respectfully disagree.  As an NCS, I know what tools I need.  If you
don't like the tool, then you are free not to use it.  The whole point
of tactical calls is they are more useful to all participants than
callsigns which change when shifts are relieved, etc.  Right now I have
to keep a list on a whiteboard that says N2YGK-9 is Truck 3.   Non-ham
members of my served agencies want to look over my shoulder (or on a
large screen projection in an EOC) and see information that is useful to
them, not to the ham geeks in the radio room in the back.  I will
already call it truck 3 when using tactical calls on phone and I will
know that truck 3's callsign is N2YGK-9.

I can't speak for SAR but I can speak as an  NCS for public service and
emergency nets where I have a fair amount of experience and this is what
-- for my style of operating -- works for me.

73 de Alan N2YGK