[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Wed Jun 11 04:17:42 EDT 2003

Hello Alan,

At 22:30 10-6-03 -0400, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>I can't speak for SAR but I can speak as an  NCS for public service and
>emergency nets where I have a fair amount of experience and this is what
>-- for my style of operating -- works for me.

Okay, that's fair. I have NULL experience with either SAR or NCS, I just
tried to replicate the outcome of a discussion on de APRS SIG (in the
Netherlands HAMs do not have a task in public service). Maybe that
discussion should be brought up again with the right experienced people
attending this time.

Maybe we should invent a new APRS "alias" object that tells all clients
about alternative names. Then then somebody sees N2YGK-9 and knows this is
Truck 3 he can post such an alias object and everybody receiving the alias
will have the same info. It is like an object, but bound to an already
existing station and traveling with it. The alias object saves all the
others the trouble of doing it manualy (and make mistakes...), if the
original sender made a mistake than surely somebody will notice it and
correct it.

Of course this is out of scope for the Xastir-Dev group, unless we want to
force this with a propriatry implementation first... (guess not...). Of
course making is possible to manualy enter an alternative name is the most
simple and quick solution.

Kind regards,

Henk.