[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Jun 12 12:35:23 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Henk de Groot wrote:

> Okay, that's fair. I have NULL experience with either SAR or NCS, I just
> tried to replicate the outcome of a discussion on de APRS SIG (in the
> Netherlands HAMs do not have a task in public service). Maybe that
> discussion should be brought up again with the right experienced people
> attending this time.

Well, there are a few on here.  I'm in SAR, involved in base
operations mostly.  At least two other Xastir developers are
involved in RACES, another emergency support organization.

> Maybe we should invent a new APRS "alias" object that tells all clients
> about alternative names. Then then somebody sees N2YGK-9 and knows this is
> Truck 3 he can post such an alias object and everybody receiving the alias
> will have the same info. It is like an object, but bound to an already
> existing station and traveling with it. The alias object saves all the
> others the trouble of doing it manualy (and make mistakes...), if the
> original sender made a mistake than surely somebody will notice it and
> correct it.

See http://www.opentrac.org, "Display Name" element.

Also, APRS+SA has the capability of tagging "tactical" names onto a
station on the screen, and then is capabable of sending those
tactical names across to other APRS+SA instances.  I'm proposing
that we duplicate that capability, in the same format, for APRS.
It'd be up to the user to choose whether to display callsign,
tactical, or both on the screen.  In a SAR operation, I'd normally
choose tactical-only display, as that way it's more digestible to
the SAR sherriff's I'm working for.  They don't want to see
callsigns.  They want to see "Team3", "DogTeam5", and "Air2".

See http://www.opentrac.org

> Of
> course making is possible to manualy enter an alternative name is the most
> simple and quick solution.

See http://www.opentrac.org  ;-)

Any guesses as to what I might be working on???

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com