[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Mark - N2PGD n2pgd at cox.net
Wed Jun 11 09:28:02 EDT 2003

Folks,

I have to second this request.  Over the last couple of years, I've
starting incorporating APRS into more and more public service events.
We have been asked by multiple sponsers to provide a projector next
year.  We too, have been in the situation where we have had to explain
to the sponsor that truck 3 is N2YGK-9.  It would be super handy to have
a simple client side replace.  This is particularly a problem with
certain clients, where their registration number is keyed to a callsign
(APRS WinCE comes to mind), so you can't even use a tatical callsign.
I can see Bob's point about different people having different views, so
perhaps we could come up with a compromise.  How would it work to have a
client side lookup list that either places a tatical call in parens next
to the actual call or the actual call in parens.  I see this being quite
useful, because the NCS station would then have both the real callsign
and tactical callsign available.

73,

Mark