[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jun 11 12:14:13 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Mark - N2PGD wrote:

> I have to second this request.  Over the last couple of years, I've
> starting incorporating APRS into more and more public service events.
> We have been asked by multiple sponsers to provide a projector next
> year.  We too, have been in the situation where we have had to explain
> to the sponsor that truck 3 is N2YGK-9.  It would be super handy to have
> a simple client side replace.

This is the kind of thing we're dealing with for SAR and EOC
operations as well.  We need a client-side local display of tactical
labels.

> I can see Bob's point about different people having different views, so
> perhaps we could come up with a compromise.  How would it work to have a
> client side lookup list that either places a tatical call in parens next
> to the actual call or the actual call in parens.  I see this being quite
> useful, because the NCS station would then have both the real callsign
> and tactical callsign available.

Yes.  I see no problem with tactical callsigns, as long as you have
a choice of whether to display amateur/tactical/both along with the
symbol.  It might also be good to be able to select whether to send
the tactical callsigns across the air.  Perhaps disabling
transmission of them isn't necessary though if each client can
choose what to display.

I'd like to implement the capability to swap tactical callsigns
across the air, probably in the APRS+ tactical transmission format
for maximum capability among clients.  Perhaps other clients will
pick up that same method eventually.  This is on our feature request
list somewhere.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com