[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Gerry Wheeler gwheelerx at qolpublishing.com
Wed Jun 11 22:45:07 EDT 2003

I don't follow the APRS sig, but I've been following this thread...

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:14, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> Yes.  I see no problem with tactical callsigns, as long as you have
> a choice of whether to display amateur/tactical/both along with the
> symbol.

OK, this I can see, and I too would find it useful.

>  It might also be good to be able to select whether to send
> the tactical callsigns across the air.

??? Why would you want to send the tactical callsign if the client can
do the translation? Why not send the real callsign and let each client
display it as it wants. The over-the-air content needn't change from
what it is currently.

>  Perhaps disabling
> transmission of them isn't necessary though if each client can
> choose what to display.

??? This seems doubly perplexing. Did you mean "perhaps transmission of
them isn't necessary..." ?

I'm confused (which isn't entirely unusual).

Gerry KG4NBB