[Xastir-Dev] giving objects a locally-defined tactical callsign

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 12 00:28:58 EDT 2003

On 11 Jun 2003, Gerry Wheeler wrote:

> I don't follow the APRS sig, but I've been following this thread...
>
> On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:14, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> >  It might also be good to be able to select whether to send
> > the tactical callsigns across the air.
>
> ??? Why would you want to send the tactical callsign if the client can
> do the translation? Why not send the real callsign and let each client
> display it as it wants. The over-the-air content needn't change from
> what it is currently.

I'm talking about sending either the real callsign, or both the real
and the tactical callsign.  Not _just_ the tactical callsign.

> >  Perhaps disabling
> > transmission of them isn't necessary though if each client can
> > choose what to display.
>
> ??? This seems doubly perplexing. Did you mean "perhaps transmission of
> them isn't necessary..." ?

No.  If each client can choose which of the two (or both) to display
next to the symbol, then each person using APRS can decide which
he/she wishes to see at the given time.  At times tactical would be
useful, at times not.  It's all about giving the user choices, and
about allowing identical screens if multiple stations are involved in
and event and wish to see tactical.  If we never distribute the
tactical callsigns from client to client, many events will be very
confusing (as they are now).

I can think of a few cases where _local_ tactical callsigns would be
useful, but might give away too much information about the event if
distributed over the air to all the other clients.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer