[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0 patches for datadir, pkglib, xastir.spec.in

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:33:45 EDT 2003

Now that the freeze has thawed, this is my third and final attempt at submission
of these patches.  Maybe the third time will be a charm:-)

xastir-datadir.patch corrects the incorrect use of the configured $prefix.
Instead of putting data (maps, etc.) in $prefix/xastir/ the data is put in
$pkgdatadir.  With confugre, $prefix is the root prefix that everything gets
installed under.  $pkgdatadir is the right place for data files that belong to
the package and, when $prefix=/usr then becomes /usr/share/xastir/.  So, the
maps end up in /usr/share/xastir/maps after this patch instead of in
/usr/xastir/maps.  And, of course, since we are using configure, the pkgdatadir
can be independently configured vs. the root $prefix in the event that the
builder wants the maps and other data somewhere else.

The .xastir/config/xastir.cnf has to be edited or recreated for this to take
effect for someone upgrading so nothing will get "lost" for an upgrader;  his
maps remain in whatever's in the .cnf file.

xastir-pkglib.patch similarly locates the random extra scripts in $pkglib for
the same reasons.

xastir-spec.patch corrects some errors and otherwise enhances Chuck's rpm spec
file to permit building a full 1.2.0 xastir with all bells and whistles turned
on.  NOTE that this spec file currently applies the above patches.  Once these
patches are integrated, the spec file can be edited to drop the patches.

See http://www.columbia.edu/~alan/xastir/ for binary and source RPMs that work
just fine with a Red Hat 9 system.  This includes a copy of ImageMagick-5.5.6-5
which I found via rpmfind.net as well as gpsmanshp, ax25-apps, ax25-tools,
libax25, libgeotiff, proj, shapelib and e002shp, and of course xastir-1.2.0.

Using the above packages, a new xastir user on Red Hat 9 will have a much easier
time getting started.

73 de Alan N2YGK