[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0: shouldn't be trying to connect to terraserver

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jun 17 13:33:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> vaio% xastir
> curl told us 6
> curlerr is Couldn't resolve host 'terraserver-usa.net'
> curl told us 6
> curlerr is Couldn't resolve host 'terraserver-usa.net'
>
> Apparently because the installation puts terraserver.geo into the maps
> directory.
>
> This is not a good thing as the application shouldn't do Internet access unless
> the person running it asks it to.  Installation of terraserver.geo should
> be optional.

Well, I disagree that the installation of the .geo should be
optional (but that's only one opinion).  I was the one that put
those two .geo's in there.  The intent was to make it easy for
beginning users to have Tiger/Topo/Satellite maps from the get-go.
Perhaps they should only get installed if ImageMagick and
wget-or-libcurl are installed, so that the user can make use of the
online maps.

I do however agree that the app shouldn't do internet access unless
asked.  This sort of thing can both make users nervous, and really
kill things on a dial-up line.

I'm considering tweaking the indexing so that one of these happened:

    a) All maps were disabled under automaps by default, or
    b) GEO's with URL's were disabled under automaps by default.

Would either of those solve the problem sufficiently?  Perhaps make
sure that the default for the global Automaps toggle was "disabled"
as well?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com