[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0 patches for datadir, pkglib, xastir.spec.in

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jun 17 15:14:19 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> I know you won't like this answer, but when using RPM's and upgrading an RPM,
> this just works since RPM has the complete list of old files to delete, new
> files to add, and config files to keep.

So what happens to the files that a user has added to the
GNIS/Counties/config/fcc/maps/sounds directories?  I assume these
are not deleted, but the user still has to move them into the new
heirarchy.

> Now for the rest of the world, I think a script just to clean up would do the
> trick (invoked by the make install rule).  Let me know if you want me to cobble
> this together.

So far I've needed to do this:

    Close Xastir sessions
    mv /usr/local/xastir /usr/local/share
    Edit ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf:  Change "/usr/local/xastir" to
        "/usr/local/share/xastir".

Now it's complaining because it can't find the xastir.rgb file:

Error! can not find color file: ${prefix}/share/xastir/config/xastir.rgb
Error in Color file! Exiting...

It looks like a substitution problem in
xa_config.c:get_database_dir()?

> PS: I really don't get the point of those placeholder files.

They were a quick hack to force empty directories to be created by
"make install".  If you know a better way, please pass it along.  I
didn't like it when I coded it either, but I couldn't figure out a
better method at the time.  I suspect autoconf/automake has a way to
do it, but I couldn't find it.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com