[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jun 18 12:25:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> I suggest a migration script.  I started writing it on the train this morning.
> All that datadir stuff delayed my getting it done yesterday:-)  It can be
> invoked from make install but also perhaps at xastir startup since the
> xastir.cfg needs to get rewritten.

I guess I would vote for moving the directory during install, then a
separate script (invoked from within Xastir?) that edits the
xastir.cnf file and then writes a tag somewhere that says what
revision of config file we're at.  Perhaps if the Xastir-invoked
script converts something, Xastir needs to die/restart, or at least
read it's own config file after the script runs (easier).

The reason I'm suggesting that we write a tag as to the config file
version is so that the conversion script knows when it's work has
already been done and doesn't try to re-write directories again.
People might have some unusual setups for Xastir, and we don't want
to re-write the directories for them.

Do we write the tag into the config file, and tweak Xastir to carry
that through as it re-writes the config file each time?  Write the
config file revision number to a new file?

I assume the new script would be located in /usr/local/lib/xastir
for a standard install?

Once we get this mechanism in place, we'll probably need to keep
extending the conversion script(s) over time as we do other major
changes to config files or directory layouts.  We'll have to keep
earlier conversions in place and just keep adding to the scripts.

Anyone see any problems with this before we go down this path?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com