[Xastir-Dev] Map Drawing Tweaks

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Wed Jun 18 15:36:16 EDT 2003

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > Ok.  I put them in, #define FUZZYRASTER next to yours to enable.
>
> Playing with this a bit (it works very well by the way!), I'm not
> sure I like it.  Then again, I'm not sure what I expect, or what I
> want from this.
>
> I can't zoom way in to see if I'm getting rain at my house, 'cuz the
> radar image disappears.  I can't zoom way out and get radar images
> covering the entire U.S., because the images disappear.  Yes, it's
> true that the resolution of either extreme makes them less than
> useful, but still there's that part of me that wants to do it.
>
> The really nice part is that for the zoom levels at which the images
> are active, they look very good, and that's the goal.

Yes, my original goal was to auto-load the appropriate topo map (24k,
100k, 250k, etc.) for the current zoom level.  Like I said, it was
hard to pick a "good" number.

> Perhaps yet-another-toggle or two for enabling/disabling these new
> features for raster/vector maps?  I think we need to be able to
> change the percent value for vectors.  Would it be useful or
> desireable to allow the user to change any of the parameters for
> raster as well?
>
> With the toggles, I could enable/disable the features at will, so I
> could leave them enabled most of the time, but get around the
> restrictions when I really need to.

Yeah, toggles are good.  I guess the real way to do this is in the map
properties, so you can set it for each map.  Then you can leave the
radars alone if you want, but have really pretty topos, and fast
vectors.  All automatically.  But it also needs global toggles so you
can quickly check something out of the ordinary.

Is there any reason to have two limits for asymetrical clipping?  Like
what we were talking about for the vectors?  I think it is too much
complexity if it is not really needed.  Thoughts?

Chris.