[Xastir-Dev] Map Drawing Tweaks

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jun 20 13:03:30 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> Yes, my original goal was to auto-load the appropriate topo map (24k,
> 100k, 250k, etc.) for the current zoom level.  Like I said, it was
> hard to pick a "good" number.

I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't made that connection.  That's
sweet!  I want that auto-load of the "correct" topo map.  I'd use
auto-mode most of the time.

> Yeah, toggles are good.  I guess the real way to do this is in the map
> properties, so you can set it for each map.  Then you can leave the
> radars alone if you want, but have really pretty topos, and fast
> vectors.  All automatically.  But it also needs global toggles so you
> can quickly check something out of the ordinary.

Yes.  That reflects my take on it now too.

Another way to do it would be to have global defaults for it, such
as your code that skips displaying for fuzzy images, but then treat
the map properties stuff as exceptions to that.  That way one could
fine-tune only the ones you need to.

> Is there any reason to have two limits for asymetrical clipping?  Like
> what we were talking about for the vectors?  I think it is too much
> complexity if it is not really needed.  Thoughts?

I think you're talking about two zoom limits for each map.  Yes,
there is a reason for that:

Some maps are for world-view or country view, and you'd like to
knock them out at high-detail levels because the resolution just
isn't there as you zoom in.  Other maps are very detailed and should
be knocked out as you zoom out so that things don't slow down too
much.  This is pretty much a parallel case to the three (or more)
topo levels.

I suppose one could put in a single entry in the map properties and
add a special symbol for whether it was the low or high zoom level,
but that'd be even more confusing.  Probably better to have two
columns and enter a zoom level in 0/1/2 of the columns for each map.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com