[Xastir-Dev] Map Drawing Tweaks

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Sun Jun 22 18:40:23 EDT 2003

[...snip...]

> > Is there any reason to have two limits for asymetrical clipping?  Like
> > what we were talking about for the vectors?  I think it is too much
> > complexity if it is not really needed.  Thoughts?
>
> I think you're talking about two zoom limits for each map.  Yes,
> there is a reason for that:
>
> Some maps are for world-view or country view, and you'd like to
> knock them out at high-detail levels because the resolution just
> isn't there as you zoom in.  Other maps are very detailed and should
> be knocked out as you zoom out so that things don't slow down too
> much.  This is pretty much a parallel case to the three (or more)
> topo levels.
>
> I suppose one could put in a single entry in the map properties and
> add a special symbol for whether it was the low or high zoom level,
> but that'd be even more confusing.  Probably better to have two
> columns and enter a zoom level in 0/1/2 of the columns for each map.

Ok, I was refering to using one value as the multiplier/divider for
the two bounds.  I guess we should give the user the choice to use
none/one or both limits.  That would also solve my topo level issue,
one number does not seperate all the levels without overlaps.

I also like toggle-able defaults, with overrides in the properties.
That can be implemented by seeding the properties with the defaults
when adding those columns.

So, should the properties UI use zoom levels, range scales, or pixel
ratios?  Zoom levels/range scales would be the most user friendly,
simplest to code, but hard to decide on values.  They would be
dependent on window and image size.  Pixel ratio would result in the
best looking displays, but the hardest to explain in the UI...
However, with reasonable defaults (tuned to image type) it would be
easy for users to experiment and adjust as needed.

[I threw in range scales, since I really think we should be using them
instead of the fairly meaningless zoom level, but that is another
battle I am not going to start... the display of the current range is
a reasonable compromise.]

Chris.