[Xastir-Dev] Unix time function expert?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jun 25 12:41:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Curt Mills wrote:

> Who knows a bit about Unix time functions?
>
> It appears that the "TZ" variable is not set on Cygwin, and the
> "localtime" link is not made in /etc either.
>
> For these reasons, and perhaps lack of a "tzset()" call at the
> proper place, the time functions on Cygwin appear to be defaulting
> to UTC instead of local time.  This causes weather alerts to expire
> at the wrong times on Cygwin.  Weather alert expiration appears to
> be correct on Linux.
>
> If someone could check this out and figure out the proper fixes,
> it'd be appreciated.  I suspect it might involve adding "tzset()"
> and then tweaking the README.win32 file to add instructions for
> setting the TZ variable.
>
> The interesting code is in util.c:time_from_aprsstring().  Perhaps
> other places as well, like gps.c.
>
> There's a bug report for this on SourceForge.

Forgot to mention:  The Cygwin FAQ mentions that a lack of "tzset()"
causes time to be off on Cygwin.  That's what led me in that
direction:

"Why isn't _timezone set correctly?

   *(Please note: This section has not yet been updated for the
latest net release.)*

   Did you explicitly call tzset() before checking the value of
_timezone?  If not, you must do so."

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com