[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jun 25 17:50:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>
> > I have another suggestion for a directory change:  The places GPS maps are
> > *written* needs to be configurable, and should probably be in ~/.xastir/ by
> > default;  In a normal multi-user system, /usr/share/xastir/maps/GPS would not be
> > writeable by mere users.  A knowledgable super-user could of course take
> > shapefile maps from his .xastir/... directory and move them to
> > /usr/share/xastir/maps as needed.
>
> I'm struggling with the best way to go about that.  I think I'd like
> to modify the map chooser stuff so that it's a reasonably seamless
> integration between local user maps and the system map directory,
> including the GPS directory stuff.
>
> I don't want to get into changing too much code for the map chooser,
> indexing, and map finding routines.
>
> Perhaps changing all of the routines so that they use the local user
> map directories as the root, and then making a symlink from there to
> the system map directories would be a good compromise.  Just
> thought of that as I was composing this reply.  That might save a
> lot of work.

How about this:

~/.xastir/maps/system -> /usr/share/xastir/maps
~/.xastir/maps/<user>/
~/.xastir/maps/<user>/gps/

In this case, Map Chooser would start at ~/.xastir/maps and set up
to traverse symlinks, so you'd see "system", and "<user>" as the top
two directories in Map Chooser.  Perhaps "public" and "private"
might be better labels?  Whatever gets the job done.

Xastir would check for the directories/symlink, creating each if not
present.

~/.xastir/maps/<user>/      Individual user maps
~/.xastir/maps/<user>/gps/  GPS downloads and APRS trail saves
/usr/share/xastir/maps      System-wide maps

"gps" could also be broken out into "gps" and "aprs-trails".

I'll have to check whether the code can handle symlinks as it's
searching for/displaying/indexing maps.  I think it can already
though, in which case the above scheme would be very easy to
implement.

Thoughts?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com