[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jun 24 14:05:59 EDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:

> I have another suggestion for a directory change:  The places GPS maps are
> *written* needs to be configurable, and should probably be in ~/.xastir/ by
> default;  In a normal multi-user system, /usr/share/xastir/maps/GPS would not be
> writeable by mere users.  A knowledgable super-user could of course take
> shapefile maps from his .xastir/... directory and move them to
> /usr/share/xastir/maps as needed.

I'm struggling with the best way to go about that.  I think I'd like
to modify the map chooser stuff so that it's a reasonably seamless
integration between local user maps and the system map directory,
including the GPS directory stuff.

I don't want to get into changing too much code for the map chooser,
indexing, and map finding routines.

Perhaps changing all of the routines so that they use the local user
map directories as the root, and then making a symlink from there to
the system map directories would be a good compromise.  Just
thought of that as I was composing this reply.  That might save a
lot of work.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com