[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Thu Mar 13 17:11:24 EST 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <hacker at tc.fluke.com> writes:

Curt> My short list of what I'd like to see before the next stable
Curt> release:

Curt> 1) GPSMan integration (DONE!).  Needs testing by other users.

I have missed exactly what this is.  Is there a pointer to what
exactly is being integrated?

Curt> 2) Jack's re-done configure.ac plus other mods.  I know he's
Curt> working hard on that stuff and it's looking VERY good!

Expect integration to take place some time between Monday and
Wednesday of next week.  You will be assimilated.

Curt> 3) RELAY digipeat tested for both AX.25 and serial KISS
Curt> interfaces.  Someone please test RELAY digipeat with serial KISS
Curt> interfaces.  I think Olivier and one other are testing with
Curt> AX.25 interfaces.

Curt> 4) Fix/test the high-CPU usage w/NMEA bug.  I'm waiting for
Curt> results on this one.  This one doesn't HAVE to be in the stable
Curt> release, but it'd be nice.

Curt> I'd like to see the team start on Xastir-2 after the above list
Curt> is complete and the next stable release occurs.  I'm already
Curt> starting to play with PostgreSQL and have a C program compiled
Curt> already that can make a connection to it and get info.  Baby
Curt> steps.

Umm, we are going to be doing a bit of design before coding, right?

Curt> Here's what I'd like to see after the short list above is
Curt> complete: Do a stable release, put the old stuff on a branch,
Curt> start Xastir-2 on the main branch.  Start GDAL integration while
Curt> Xastir-2 development is going on in parallel (sound ok Jack?).

I'll start the integration while participating in the design
discussions, but anyone who actually knows anything about the graphics
subsystems is invited to contribute with the GDAL excitement.

Curt> Use Postgres/PostGIS as the database with the option to use
Curt> other databases once we get Postgres integration done.  First
Curt> load APRS packets in the database then go after installing/using
Curt> maps from there.  Also keep the option of using local
Curt> memory/disk storage instead of a back-end database, for those
Curt> users that don't want a full-blown database.

Curt> I'm looking for opinions on the above short list and where the
Curt> proper cutover point should be for starting on Xastir-2.  All of
Curt> the above is just to get the discussion going, nothing's cast in
Curt> concrete.

In order to identify the baby steps, we need to identify the goal and
at least part of the path.

It's also important to note that Xastir1 will not be abandoned.  There
will at least be active code maintenance if not new development along
this thread, for those whose needs do not include a database backend
or any of the other features Xastir2 brings to the table.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org