[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Mar 13 17:21:52 EST 2003

Taking this public, with permission.  Names changed to protect the
innnocent and all that.

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, someone wrote:

> Why SQL?
> Why not one of the bdm indexed file systems?

Because it doesn't give us anything like what we're after.

> I say that because adding a relational database
> subsystem could be a pretty serious install/maintenance
> and possibly licensing issue.

Not a licensing issue at all.  PostgreSQL is completely free and
gives us the geospatial stuff that we're shooting towards.  Others
fit in the same category, but are not as advanced as PostgreSQL at
the moment.  We can support them as they come up to speed though.

> Is this something that could be completely embedded?

Not what we're after.  We're after client/server model here.

> (I'm just a lurker on this list... so don't let me
> stop you from building what you are dreaming...)

We've talked about this on and off on the lists for a couple of
years now.  What we'd like to get to is an SQL database, an
interfaces daemon that would feed that database, and then clients
that would connect to the database.  This would give us mini-findu
capability plus allow the daemon and database to continue running
24/7 and have the client able to come and go, yet still get an
accurate picture of the current state.  It'd also allow multiple
clients to connect to one database, allow distributed map servers,
allow SQL statement to get all map data and all stations/objects
with specified lat/long boundaries, ...  The list goes on and on.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com