[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Jeff Brenton KA9VNV ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com
Fri Mar 14 09:39:36 EST 2003

Hello Gerry,

GCN> Well, there are several. But first, Curt tells me that MySQL will
GCN> soon include spatial elements, so that's not as high on the
GCN> list...

Hopefully, another "feature" of Postgres will not be a problem with
what's being discussed here. It seems on some databases, with lots of
large inserts and deletes, Postgres can start eating disk space for
seemingly no reason (there are reasons, but they aren't obvious).

This is a critical item for another project I'm involved in, which
uses either Postgres or MySQL as the back end for mail servers.
Postgres has several advantages that some people want (the triggers
and stored procedures), but it comes with the cost of slower inserts
and queries, AND the necessity of running VACUUM several times per day
to keep the database sizes in check.

(VACUUM is a procedure for rebuilding various behind-the-scenes
tables, from what I understand, and one outfit is running it every 30
minutes on their 22,000-user system mail system.)

Again, this should NOT be a factor for Xastir...

--
Best regards,
 Jeff                            mailto:ka9vnv at dididahdahdidit.com