[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Mar 14 11:26:57 EST 2003

I've seen some markedly slower performance with Postgres when tables get
out of hand and indices are not, or improperly used.  And vacuum is a
valuable tool for keeping a lot of the works in check.  Still, it does
handle larger data sets a bit better than MySQL.

 From my perspective, the major draw for xastir is the spatial
capability.  If we weren't talking about a spatial application from the
start, MySQL _would_ be my choice because it's relational, SQL-based and
lighter-weight.  That said, it's been my experience that the extra
overhead associated with PostGres is not a show stopper and it offers us
benefits today in the spatial arena.

And, just to give the short answer, I think we're in violent agreement!

73,
gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173