[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

William Robison william-robison at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 14 10:07:44 EST 2003

From: Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager at tamu.edu>
Cc: xastir-dev at krypton.hscs.virginia.edu

>Being the bad guy who brought the concept of the databse back end to the
>table, I think I can make some pretty good arguments for it when the
>time comes.  Some of this list comes from a recent exchange Curt & I had
>about xastir-2.
>
>Simply put, I believe that a database for APRS packets will allow us to
>maintain a better control over dupes, and timeseries issues.
>
>I think that incorporating a db backend will allow better map indexing
>and faster redraws.  And better control over various layers of maps.

  This has come up before, but I though it worth repeating:

I would find Xastir far more useful if it were divided into a
client and server where the server would manage APRS traffic, a
message database, and internet communications.  The server
would then be left active at all times (in particular when the
Xserver is not running).  I would like to use Xastir more, but
having to have the Xserver always active excludes other users...

regards
-Willy
William Robison
KC0JFQ