[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Mar 14 12:26:17 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, William Robison wrote:

> I would find Xastir far more useful if it were divided into a
> client and server where the server would manage APRS traffic, a
> message database, and internet communications.  The server
> would then be left active at all times (in particular when the
> Xserver is not running).  I would like to use Xastir more, but
> having to have the Xserver always active excludes other users...

Plus:  I have two Linux boxes running at home that the kids can't
play with.  One runs headless and is my fileserver, while the other
has a monitor/keyboard and is my main machine.  The main machine is
still running a serial mouse, so I have one com port left, which
connects to a KISS TNC.

By splitting up Xastir into client/server, I can move the
database/interface code over to the headless machine, and free up
the serial port on my main machine for other badly needed purposes.

I could also finally install the dumb 6-port serial card in the
fileserver and put more interfaces online.

If we do this right, the database, the interface code, and the
client(s) could all be on different machines.  I could even have two
or more sets of interface code feeding one database, and then have
multiple clients connected to it as well.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com