[Xastir-Dev] Re: [Xastir] Idea for re-org of map directories

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Mar 18 14:24:29 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, [iso-8859-1] Øyvind Hanssen wrote:

> Ive tried modifying Xastir such that it can decide to display maps or not,
> depending on the current zoom level. My approach is to allow a per-
> directory file which specify the maximum zoom level for the maps in
> this directory. This seems to be sufficient since what I need is just to
> stop displaying of maps when they are scaled down below a certain
> threshold. Maps that are too much scaled up are simply overlayed by
> other maps (if the directories are named in the right order).

We're trying to get away from a rigid organization of the map
directories though, but other than that, I really like the idea!

What about tweaking your code to do this:  Add two fields to the map
index, specifying the min and max zoom level.  Have them filled in
as zoom 1/world level by default (so they always show).  The code
could look at those fields to decide which ones to display, and that
info would be in memory and therefor fast to look up.  This would
avoid having to structure the map directories in any particular way.

The user interface could be two fill-in fields and a "Change" button
or perhaps up/down arrow buttons for each field, in the Map
Chooser->Properties dialog.

By the way:  We're intending to hook Xastir to a real SQL database
shortly, at which point a lot of this stuff is moot.  We'll have to
figure out new ways of doing a lot of things.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com