[Xastir-Dev] Short list, stable release, then Xastir-2 development?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Mar 21 13:16:34 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

>          default:
>              fprintf(stderr,"Illegal parameter (%d) passed to
> GPS_operations function!\n", input_param);
>              gps_operation_pending = 0;  // We're done
>              return(NULL);
>              break;
>      }   // End of switch
>
> tells me that input_param is 0 when this function is called. This is
> coming from the XtPointer clientData. Beyond that, it appears that the
> callback function is being called with the right data (between 1 and 3,
> inclusive).

So the printf to STDERR is showing you a '0' I presume.  Actually
the parameter has to be between 1 and 6 inclusive in order to avoid
the switch's default clause.  The other three clauses are for
possible GPS upload functions that I/we might add later.

The string value should have been set by the callback functions from
the code that created the menus, so perhaps there's a difference
with how your menus are sending the values to the code and how mine
are?  Are you using LessTif, Motif, or OpenMotif?  I'm using
OpenMotif here.

> I see that clientData is of type XtPointer, but you do a strcmp() on it.
> I don't know much about this X programming, but is there some need to
> dereference a pointer before you use it? or does clientData actually
> point to the start of the C string?

The line "input_param = *((int *) arg);"  is what dereferences the
pointer into an int.  We then use input_param for all later access,
including the switch.

Ah wait!  Wrong routine, but still in the area we're talking about.
Ok, strings are different.  When we do a strcmp(), we need pointers
to the strings, so the code as it stands appears to be correct, and
in fact it works properly on my system.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com