[Xastir-Dev] my aprsdigi multicasting

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Mar 26 12:05:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Woo-HOOOO!
>
> gerry
>
> Alan Crosswell wrote:
> > I'm about to release a new version of aprsdigi.  aprs.w2aee.columbia.edu
> > is currently running it and multicasting to 233.0.14.99/12345.  Might be
> > cool if xastir could handle multicast UDP (IPv4 or v6).  You can
> > multicast back to 233.0.14.99 but you need to tell me you are doing it
> > so I can add you to the budlist.  I envision using UDP multicast via I2
> > as well as more locally within an RLAN....

Ok, so tell the rest of us what this means.  I have a very fuzzy,
grey, fog-like definition in my mind of what you're talking about.

As I understand it, multicast allows you to broadcast 1-to-many, but
I don't know whether individual clients have to "register" somewhere
to be able to receive these broadcasts.  I would expect so, as
broadcasting these things everywhere on the 'net at once would clog
up the 'net awfully fast (with lots of broadcasters at once).

So what's the procedure for a client?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com