[Xastir-Dev] my aprsdigi multicasting

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 26 13:28:40 EST 2003

If you are on a part of the Internet that participates in global multicast
(generally this only applies to higher ed and r&d sites -- see
http://multicast.internet2.edu/) then you simply run a client that joins the
multicast group.  The internals of redisributing multicast are handled by "the
network" which builds a shortest path tree to distribute content only to those
who have indicated they want it.  This is called "Protocol Independent Multicast
- Sparse Mode" (PIM-SM) so the traffic does not in fact get broadcast to the
whole world but could if everyone in the whole world wanted to see it.  It is
actually much more efficient than the multiple-unicast model used by typical
streaming media or even APRS-IS.  The main down side is that global multicast
connectivity is still in its infancy outside the research and education
networks.  However, the R&E networks could be used to hub out multicast which is
then multiple-unicast (or gated to RF).

For the local RLAN case, it is just a broadcast and is simply a means of using
IP but recognizing that the medium is in fact a broadcast medium and is more
efficiently used that way for this kind of data.  Imagine if all APRS over AX.25
was connection-oriented instead of connectionless and you had to connect to
these central nodes even if your station and your neigbhors could both directly
hear the traffic.  (Kinda like packet clusters:-)
/a