[Xastir-Dev] Less brave testers wanted. :-)

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Mar 28 13:28:11 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Tom Young wrote:

> I ran a cvs update and reran everything, starting with bootstrap.sh.
> Also, I
> remembered to uncomment the SerialKiss DIGIPEAT  #define statement in
> xastir.h (forgot the last time).  I ran 'xastir -v 9' and got lines on
> the console like the following:
>
> Channel data on Port 1
> [KA1UDX-1>APU256,KB2EAR-1,WB2SNN-15,WA2JNF-15*/V:}KA1UDX>APU256,TCPIP,KA1UDX-1*:=4012.25N/07527.86W_WX
> Collegeville, PA   FN20GF]
>
> No more gibberish!  Also, I don't see anything that looks like an MKISS
> port identifier. (Port 1 is the Serial KISS interface.)  Unfortunately,
> no packets
> at all appeared in the 'Display Packet Data' window or the tnc.log.

Are you sure you put the TNC into KISS mode before that last test?
It looks like perhaps you were getting normal serial characters
through on the KISS interface, which would get tossed by the code
that deciphers KISS packets 'cuz it's not KISS.

I _think_ that I've also learned this:  The port number is encoded
within a few bits of the AX.25 CONTROL byte, so it won't appear as
an extra byte anywhere in the header.  I'm still working to make
sure that the KISS interface handles this properly, but I'm
currently _not_ trying to implement MKISS, KISS-CRC, XKISS, or SMACK
protocol.  The best I'm hoping to do currently is to be able to
receive from all interfaces of an MKISS TNC, and when we transmit
it'll transmit out the first port.

> When I try the same thing with the vanilla TNC interface,  packets
> appear normally
> in the 'Display Packet Data' window and the log, but there are no
> 'Channel data on Port 3' messages.

Did you take the TNC out of KISS mode when you switched, or just
kill one interface and start the other in Xastir?

> I tried, unsuccessfully, to decipher things with GDB, probably because
> of timing and/or
> multi-threading problems.

Yea, you typically need some patches to GDB in order to allow it to
follow threads.  printf() is your friend...

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com