[Xastir-Dev] TODO for "stable"?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed May 14 16:22:20 EDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> >
> > Can you definitely pin this on Xastir, or could it perhaps be
> > changes in the server on the other end, or partial loss of network
> > connectivity?
>
> There is partial connectivity loss.  Every 2-4 hours (I didn't set up
> the ISDN modem pool, the guy who did failed to document and then left,
> and the new guy and I haven't figured out the damage yet) I get dumped
> and have to reacquire a DHCP lease with a new address.
>
> In rev's past, it'd time out on xastir and if it was configured to
> reconnect on network failure, it'd do so, gracefully.  Now, it appears
> that it "reconnects" and then no more data is exchanged.  Usually takes
> an uptime of 24+ hours.
>
> I can fix it with a cron restart every midnight if you'd like!

You know, that's a reasonable solution for some closed-source
programs (or operating-systems), but probably not for us.  ;-)

Try out the latest code and see if it's any better in this regard.
I did some CPU-usage fixes night-before-last, and it might have
free'd up some CPU for doing other checks.  Then again, perhaps not.

The thing I'm thinking about here is that the receive queue can grow
quite a bit with the older code (older being two days old here), and
perhaps the networking code didn't recognize that things were down
'cuz it was still processing packets?  A bit of a long-shot there,
but it's possible.

The network checks every 7.5 minutes haven't been changed for quite
a while, near as I can tell.  I don't think anyone's been into that
part of the code.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com