[Xastir-Dev] callsign/location problems

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Oct 16 18:02:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Wes Johnston wrote:

> Here's the problem....
>
> kd4rdb-3 is jumping around on other's maps... between my house in the
> downtown area of sumter, and the lcoation of kd4rdb-2 14 miles north of my
> qth.  My local copy of xastir (kd4rdb-3) running here at home never shows
> me moving.  It does however, show my icon changing to a mic-e repeater...

That tells me that you _heard_ a packet that looked like your own
station, and it changed your icon.  Check your logs for that packet.

> and the only station near here TX'ing mic-e icon is kd4rdb-0 which is only
> on RF.  Findu even shows it in the wrong location.... check
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/breadcrumb.cgi?call=kd4rdb-3&geo=http://www.imscorporation.com/kd4rdb/sumter1.geo&start=1000
> and see that it's last packet was Raw packet:
> KD4RDB-3>BEACON,W4APE-9*,WIDE,qAS,WA4SAS:=3408.43N/08021.55WmPHG8580/Sumter
> 147.015 mic-e / WIDE node. wes at johnston.net
>
> I can view the station config in xastir and it's location is 33 56.099 x 80
> 24.011 and the icon is /- (house)... nothing at all like what findu shows.
>
> It seems there is something wrong with xastir picking up the positions and
> features of other stations .... like it doesn't differentiate between
> ssid's on the same callsigns.... dunno... thoughts?

Yea.  Turn off the global transmit on kd4rdb-3.  See if you're still
seeing kd4rdb-3 transmitting on RF or on findu.

I suspect that there's a TNC in PASSALL mode or a bad TNC/APRS combo
out there that is corrupting your Mic-E transmitted packets and
sending them out over RF or over the internet to findu.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com