[Xastir-Dev] Xastir Opentrac bug

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sun Oct 26 05:30:03 EST 2003

At 21:27 25-10-03 -0700, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>Yep!  You're only the 2nd user of it.  Scott Miller of course was the
>first.  I don't call myself a user because I only threw a few packets
>at it in order to debug the code that's in there now.

That's all I did too :-), only I originally designed the packets to test
DIGI_NED... So consider yourself as 2nd user and me as 3rd in that case...

>You should report that directly to Scott then.  I used his example
>code to write the Xastir code, and fed some changes back to him in
>the process.

I forward it to him.

>Thanks!  I'll take a look at it.  Realize also that the support in
>Xastir is very preliminary at this time.  We just create some APRS
>packets out of the OpenTrac packets and then send them through our
>normal decoding.  That means we can't currently handle a lot of the
>packet types that OpenTrac can create.

The spec at www.opentrac.org currently also only contains a few types and I
guess its not up to date (or has the work has fallen still?). There were
some discussions about the future Xastir-2 a few months ago. Maybe the way
to go is to use Opentrac elements as main internal format in Xastir and
convert from APRS to Opentrac elements to support APRS. Opentrac is much
more straight-forward to decode than APRS and when it is finished everthing
from APRS will fit into Opentrac types but not vice-versa. That way Xastir
will be an Opentrac client with APRS capability.

Kind regards,

Henk.