[Xastir-Dev] Fixed awk, but install's messed

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Tue Sep 2 17:34:16 EDT 2003

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Crosswell <alan at columbia.edu> writes:

Alan> Regarding the install prefix being hosed, I don't know why that
Alan> happened, although that sounds like some kind of issue with

Alan> autoconf not setting the right values in configure.  /a
>>  The install prefix was hosed because it uses $package which is
>> derived - From the first argument to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, at least on
>> my system.  I've fixed that, and Chris Bell gave it a clean bill of
>> health for Solaris.  Could you confirm it on Linux for me so I can
>> check it in?
>>
>> /xastir-dev

Alan> That appears to get set by AC_INIT.  Not sure why it should be
Alan> different for you.  What versions of automake and autoconf are
Alan> you using?

Alan> my automake --version is 1.6.3

My automake --version is 1.5, but I can install 1.7.5 if you think
it'll make a difference.

Alan> my autoconf --version is 2.5.7

My autoconf --version is 2.53, but I can install 2.57 if you want.

Alan> According to the info page for automake, you must have an
Alan> obsolete version of automake or autoconf since the package name
Alan> and version are set by the AC_INIT macro and the
Alan> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE macro inherits those values from it.  Sounds
Alan> like it can't hurt to use the obsolete options but one has to
Alan> make sure now that AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE are *both*
Alan> updated each time the version number changes -- see the comment
Alan> a few lines higher in configure.ac about "SET VERSION HERE!"

Yeah, I'm familiar with those lines of code. :-)

Alan> Did the AC_PREREQ test succeed or did you get an error message
Alan> during bootstrap.sh?

Here's what I get on bootstrap.sh if you're curious:

Running aclocal
Running autoheader
configure.ac:19: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
configure.ac:271: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
autoheader: `config.h.in' is unchanged
Running autoconf
configure.ac:34: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_GNU_SOURCE
Running automake

Alan> So it will work and it's not a Linux version issue so much as an
Alan> automake version issue.  /a

If we do something that depends on a particular version of automake or
autoconf, that version dependency should be documented.

Jack.
- --
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org