[Xastir-Dev] Xastir lawyer stuff?

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Sep 19 14:37:55 EDT 2003

As pointed out by a good friend of mine, adding SAR features to
Xastir opens up a big can of worms:

Does the GPL protect us in any way from having Xastir used in a:

    A) Failed search (as in didn't find the guy), or a

    B) Successful search where the subject was deceased,

where the family might try to sue the Xastir authors because an
algorithm was incorrect that was used in the search, or just because
they want to sue?

What resources to we open-source types have to help us in matters
like these?  FSF lawyers?

Up until now we've just been a fun hobby program, and not
potentially helpful/harmful in a loss-of-life scenario.  Adding
search management features may put us in a different class
altogether.

Could a special disclaimer when starting up Xastir which the user
has to click on to continue protect us?

Comments?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com