[Xastir-Dev] Re: Xastir SAR feature added

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Sep 29 15:30:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> OK... I still think both modes would be useful.  Like I said, SAR for a
> pedestrian os only one type of SAR.  I can see Xastir being useful for
> things like helping coordinate a CAP search for an aircraft.  In those
> cases, LKP/time, Expected Direction and Expected Speed really matter in
> terms
> of the search area and the search area does tend to expand with time.
>
> Also, I can see marine applications where you'd want to set current data
> as likely direction/speed.  Not everyone who gets lost is walking at the
> time.

I've been doing some more reading in the books and online.  Some
publications list several methods of defining a seach area:

Theoretical:  Distance subject could have traveled in the time since
becoming lost.

Statistical:  Info available from past cases which describes
distances traveled and other useful data.

Subjective:  Evaluation of factors such as natural barriers and
terrain features as well as clues left by the subject.

Deductive Reasoning:  Methodical analysis of the circumstances
looking at facts and evidence, logically deducing where the subject
may have gone.

The method you're talking about is in the first category, but even
though it has the name of "theoretical", it has real physical uses
such as those you described.

The method I've been implementing comes under the category of
"statistical".

I agree that both of the first two methods would be useful to
implement.  Right now I'm struggling with how best to implement the
Statistical model.  I think I need more circles, statistical data in
the code, labeling of the circles, and the ability to turn each
circle on/off.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com