[Xastir-Dev] Radar Composites update

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Sep 21 16:44:38 EDT 2003

I've spent a lot of time over the last 60 hours, as has Unidata support
(the organization in Boulder who develop and distribute the origins data
we're using) looking at my system and fixing niggling little errors I
appear to have engendered there.

Friday when we started all this, the 1 minute, 30-minute and 1 hr load
average for the box was wavering around 15.  Needless to say, the
machine was "sluggish".  We've done a lot of cleanup and I just did some
manual work this morning and it's down below 1.  We'll see what time brings.

There are a bunch of scripts that are real bears to run here, and all
I've got is a P3-800 with 512MB.  I'd like to make that a dual P4,
Athlon or Opteron, and may get to upgrade it soon.  We'll see if
throwing CPU and memory makes this a little more stable.

Anyway, the maps are back up and we're trying to see why things appear
to be offset.  I do not believe it's a projection issue.

Here's the file-creation parameters in Gempad's nex2img:
  GRDAREA  = 25;-125;50;-65
  PROJ     = CED
  KXKY     = 6000;2500

GRDAREA is the bounds of the composite and image in lat/lon
PROJ is in "Cylindrical Equidistant" form, a pedantic-academic way to
say, "Lat/Lon unprojected"
KXKY is the size of the resultant image in pixels.

Attached are the .geo, a PNG world file, and the png image.

If anyone sees problems with these, please post 'em -- both to clear up
any registration issues and to tell me where I slipped a bit!

73, gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173