[Xastir-dev] args to data_add()

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Fri Apr 9 17:15:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 05:09:33PM -0400, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <wendell at adsi-m4.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > > Perhaps it would be better to hack up a generic 'fake tnc' program
> > > that xastir can connect to as if it were an APRS Internet Server?
>
> > > I think it would be best not to hack the functionality into xastir
> > > itself.  But it should be very easy to make that little linkage
> > > program and use existing xastir functionality.
> >
> > Excellent idea, and I've done similar things for use in testing
> > Xastir before:  A perl program that generates packets and has a
> > listening socket for Xastir to connect to.
>
> Is the only symbol that I can draw on the map one of those
> icons?  I was planning on attempting a graphics image of an
> aircraft.  (The icon doesn't have heading on it.  I wanted a
> little graphics image of an airplane pointed in the right
> direction).  I've already hacked the main processing loop to
> feed in FlightGear's NMEA sentences, and it works pretty well.
> I'll look into the 'fake tnc' thing, though.

Flightgear can output nmea sentences to a socket.  I don't know exactly how
xastir's gpsd support works, but perhaps it can be set so that Xastir sucks
the nmea sentences right out of the flightgear port.  If push comes to shove
and xastir needs more of gpsd than just a socket that produces nmea strings,
perhaps you can install gpsd, have it get the "gps data" from flightgear
instead of a hard-linked gps, then just point xastir at gpsd.

Given sentences with heading information in them, xastir will attempt to rotate
the icon somewhat, and can display the heading and speed next to the icon.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry