[Xastir-dev] args to data_add()

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 14 18:49:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I think GPSD would be a better way to go.

That would only work for your own station, not for any others you
wanted to plot.

> Alternatively, you could code
> up a new GPS interface in XASTIR (similar to the GPSD and Serial NMEA
> routines there now) and hook that in.  Adding udp input to the main routine
> doesn't make a lot of sense to me and seems contrary to the current code
> structure (or at least my limited recollection of it).

Perhaps a UDP listening socket via a new interface.  That way you
could enable that if you needed the functionality, and Xastir could
receive packets through that mechanism.  Whether it would have
enough "smarts" to talk back out through that port to various
clients is another matter though:  Might require quite a bit of code
to keep track of clients.

> I think there are.  I think you can do most of what you want with the
> existing TCP based GPSD and APRS Internet Feed interfaces.

Except for changing the symbology, which appears to be a main goal.

> Where I think you might need mods would be:
>
> 	Displaying aircraft the way you want, especially for TCAS
>
> 	Making sure XASTIR keeps track of a 3D world (I think it's pretty
> 	two-dimensional right now), but I'm not sure.

Yea, it's all 2D.  It can keep track of altitude, but it can't
display it in 3D.