[Xastir-dev] Messaging, acks, UI-View quirks

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 12 20:48:58 EST 2004

In looking into Jason Hitesman's APRSD issue, I got into a round of debugging
with his local IGATE operator, KB7ZVA.  In doing so, we got to looking into
why some of my messages were showing up on his end with "nn>" at the beginning.
(turns out that UI-View is displaying Reply/Ack data funny, and never sends
Reply/Ack, but that's not xastir's problem).

One thing he did show me was what happens if he attempted to send me messages
with "{" in the body (not legal per APRS spec).  Xastir took the first five
characters after the { and acked as if that were the message number (which
appears to be the correct thing to do), and it was all a big mess because
his actual message ID never got acked.

When I tried the reverse, sending him a packet with a { in it, he acked
the correct message id.

So UI-View scans for the *last* { in a message and uses the next chars as
the message ID, xastir scans for the first.

I don't know that there's anything to do about that --- as I read the spec
it appears that Xastir's doing the right thing and having { in a message other
than the one preceding the message id is an error --- but it's something to be
aware of and perhaps it's desirable to change it?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins