[Xastir-dev] Geotifs causing crashes

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 4 16:12:21 EST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:50:50PM +0000, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <g1pvz at gmx.net> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > I have compiled geotif support into the 2004_01_02 [...] downloaded a USGS geotiff for San Francisco and created a fgd file using ./mapfgd inn the scripts directory.
> >
> > However whenever I try to reindex maps Xastir just segfaults. [...]
> >
> > Any suggestions to what I may have done wrong [...]
>
> Are you certain you've built libgeotif with the appropriate matching version
> of libtiff?  If not, a segfault is likely.  I've got tiff-3.6.0 and
> libgeotif-1.2.1 and they work just fine.

Actually, it works like this (I hope I have the numbers correct):
If you have libtiff before 3.6.0, then you either need to copy some
header files from the libtiff SOURCES into the libgeotiff directory
tree before compiling it, or you need to be a very lucky person and
have the header files that are in libgeotiff closely match your
version of libtiff.

The reason for the problems is that libgeotiff uses some private
include files (not part of a normal libtiff distribution) in order
to know the internal structure.  As of libtiff 3.6.0, the interfaces
that libgeotiff needs are now public and more readily available.

Before libtiff 3.6.0, you need libgeotiff 1.1.4 or 1.1.5.  Latest
one up to 1.1.5 preferred.

After libtiff 3.6.0, you need libgeotiff 1.2.0 or later.  Latest one
preferred.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer