[Xastir-dev] Geotifs causing crashes

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Sun Jan 4 18:38:37 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:12:21PM -0800, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:50:50PM +0000, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <g1pvz at gmx.net> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > > I have compiled geotif support into the 2004_01_02 [...] downloaded a USGS geotiff for San Francisco and created a fgd file using ./mapfgd inn the scripts directory.
> > >
> > > However whenever I try to reindex maps Xastir just segfaults. [...]
> > >
> > > Any suggestions to what I may have done wrong [...]
> >
> > Are you certain you've built libgeotif with the appropriate matching version
> > of libtiff?  If not, a segfault is likely.  I've got tiff-3.6.0 and
> > libgeotif-1.2.1 and they work just fine.
>
> Actually, it works like this (I hope I have the numbers correct):
[more precise explanation]

> The reason for the problems is that libgeotiff uses some private
> include files (not part of a normal libtiff distribution) in order
> to know the internal structure.

Yeah.  But those earlier versions of libgeotif sources come with some
private include files for libtiff that are not necessarily the correct ones to
use if you've installed an incompatible version of libtiff from a binary
distribution (an RPM, for example).

Building one of these older libgeotiffs (say 1.1.4, which comes with 3.5.5
headers in the "libtiff_private" directory) when you've got a mismatched binary
install of libtiff can cause some nasty segfaults.  Because it has *some*
version of the private headers, the 1.1.x libgeotiff will compile if you've
failed to copy over the correct header files from the source tree
corresponding to the currently installed libtiff, but will not run properly.

That's a more precise way of saying what I originally tried to say by
"appropriate matching versions".

Just going to libtiff 3.6.x and libgeotif-1.2.x will help tremendously because
of the fixed public interfaces.  That private header business was a real PITA.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/