[Xastir-dev] WX input addtion?

Bennett, Bruce bbennett at Spang.com
Wed Jan 7 08:00:19 EST 2004

Gentlemen -

My home weather station is a Davis Weather Wizard III, which is not
currently supported by xastir. For all of us Davis Instruments and Linux
users, there is a nice weather recording package called “meteo”, current
version meteo-0.9.4, see <http://meteo.othello.ch> that utilizes mysql for
data storage.

Being the programming type that I am, I have written a small utility that
produces an APRS Specification 1.01 “position-less” format weather string
containing the most recent meteo data and offers it up on a TCP port (much
like wx200d - from which much was borrowed, ref
<http://wx200d.sourceforge.net/> ). (It’s not yet ready for prime time,
though - early Alpha testing - check back if interested)

My thought was that the APRS Specification format, as an input to xastir,
might be a nice additional format for xastir to recognize, for use as a
generalized weather-daemon connection…  Many WX station types, one protocol
type?

Does this idea appeal to the general xastir community, and the xastir
developers in specific?  I’d even be willing to modify wx200d to produce
data in the same format, if someone else with a Radio Shack WX station could
test it.

Bruce Bennett
BBennett at Spang.COM
(440) 352-8600 X 3350
There are more bad drivers on the road than there used to be, which is an
unintended side effect of the mandatory seatbelt laws. They are surviving
longer...