[Xastir-dev] Geotifs causing crashes

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 8 14:24:50 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, James A Vincent wrote:

> Thanks to all of you who provided advice.  I have downloaded, compiled and installed tiff-v.3.6.1 and attempted to compile libgeotiff-1.2.1.  After ./configure and make I get the following message below !

According to the libgeotiff docs, you need libtiff 3.6.0 alpha or
newer for libgeotiff-1.2.0 or later.  You're good there.

It also looks like you installed libproj before libgeotiff.  Another
good thing.

> checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... (cached) yes
> checking for TIFFMergeFieldInfo in -ltiff... (cached) yes
> checking for pj_init in -lproj... (cached) yes
> checking for projects.h... (cached) yes
> EPSG tables will be read from .csv files.

> ar r libgeotiff.a xtiff.o geo_free.o geo_get.o geo_names.o geo_new.o geo_print.o geo_set.o geo_tiffp.o geo_write.o geo_trans.o geo_normalize.o geotiff_proj4.o geo_extra.o cpl_serv.o cpl_csv.o
> ranlib libgeotiff.a
> ld -shared xtiff.o geo_free.o geo_get.o geo_names.o geo_new.o geo_print.o geo_set.o geo_tiffp.o geo_write.o geo_trans.o geo_normalize.o geotiff_proj4.o geo_extra.o cpl_serv.o  cpl_csv.o -lproj -ltiff -ljpeg -lz -lm  -o libgeotiff.so.1.2.1
> rm -f libgeotiff.so
> ln -s libgeotiff.so.1.2.1 libgeotiff.so

By this point, your static and dynamically shared geotiff libraries
have been created.

> gcc -O2  -Wall makegeo.o -L/lib -L.. -lgeotiff -lproj -ltiff -ljpeg -lz -lm  -o makegeo
> ../libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFMergeFieldInfo'

This is failing while trying to create some of the optional binary
programs.  You don't need those for Xastir.  Not sure what's going
on, but you might want to report that on the libgeotiff bug
reporting web page, or report it to the geotiff mailing list.

Perhaps you should try a slightly different version of libgeotiff
instead?