[Xastir-dev] N/S and E/W bit

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 20 18:41:17 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I disagree.  In my opinion, the controlling sentiment for such situations
> should be "Be generous in what you accept and conservative in what you
> send."  This should be the first principal of ANY protocol development.
> As such, I would agree we are broken if we send lower case, but, I think
> we should accept lower case and encourage others to do so.  Strict protocol
> enforcement for the sake of strict protocol enforcement belongs only in
> test suites and in the controls of what you transmit.  Receivers should
> accept anything that has a clear and deterministic valid intent.

Agree fully.  I was assuming (checking again now) that the case was
specified in the spec.

> Is case defined in the standard, or, was upper case just assumed to
> be the requirement by lazy coders?

The 'z' in timestamps is specified as such, at least the explanation
and all examples show lower-case.  The spec often specifies a
character between '' characters, and there's no example of a capital
'Z'.  There's no explicit statement that a 'Z' may not be used.

Same for N/S/E/W:  The explanations and all examples use capitals,
but it is never explicitly stated that lower-case not be used.