[Xastir-dev] Handicapped VS Mobile satellite...

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:10:40 EST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> WE7U's Xastir preferences:  Keep the satellite ground station (unless
> nobody uses it).  Assign the wheelchair icon to a new slot.  If nobody
> uses the ground station icon, seize that slot for the wheelchair icon
> instead.

All of my historical Marathon Files have the LEAD Handicapped using the
wheelchair ICON.  and I replay them frequently for demos... It has been
the APRSdos Wheelchair symbol since 1993 or so.  I suspect that all the
authors that were PRE-SPEC have that ICON.

Now we see that the ICON never got into the published symbol.txt file from
which we derived the SPEC.  Thus, all POST-SPEC software probably has the
mobile satellite ICON (Which, was probably my suggestion too.)

THough I forgot I made it, never new it was implemented and have never
used it.

SO, although POST-SPEC code seems to dominate todays activity, I doubt
that anyone is using the mobile satellite ICON (I have never seen in on
any of the satelltie downlinks, and it was due to my constant satellite
mobile activity that I proposed it) and no one used it as a Wheelchair
either.

But anything prior to 2000 probably did use the Wheelchair and probably
has lots of saved files in that format, then the least painful change to
me seems to be to change the spec to fix the mistake...  IE, move mobile
Satellite to a new slot, and change the spec so that /( is the
Wheelchair... (chosen becaue it kinda looks like one)...

Bob