[Xastir-dev] Reminder: Stable release very soon

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 30 14:04:08 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> >
> > > The answer is if you want GDAL and geotiff with proj support it appears
> > > you *must* build GDAL against your installed (proj-supporting) libtiff and
> > > geotiff.
> >
> > With a linker that ignores library ordering, yes.
>
> The implied subtext was "on MacOS"; Sorry;-)
>
> > I wonder if there's anywhere you can register a complaint regarding
> > the linker in MacOSX?
>
> Probably. But I don't think it's worth worrying about: building against
> external libgeotiff should be done anyway, the one in GDAL bitrots, and
> I'd rather have libproj support in GDAL.
>
> For that matter, I always build the incode epsg version of libgeotiff to
> avoid the need to drag lots of files around with me, and you can't do that
> with GDAL directly.

Perhaps you should write some of the install procedure up for those
pieces in order to help the rest of us.  No hurry, but over time
more people may be using GDAL with Xastir.

Another slightly different topic:  For OGR support I was using the
CVS version of GDAL.  Some people can't use the CVS version if they
are using GDAL for other purposes on their machine (like GRASS) and
must use a released version of GDAL.  You can't have two versions of
GDAL on one machine.