[Xastir-dev] acinclude.m4:XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 22 12:48:30 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Yea, other people have reported that particular problem, I think on
> XP, but perhaps on Win2000 as well.  Here's a hack that should get
> you past it:
>
> At the start of "acinclude.m4", there's the function definition for
> "XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES".  Tweak that part of the code to read like
> this:
>

>   # test for devices
>   AC_DEFUN([XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES],
>   [
>   AC_MSG_CHECKING([for devices])
>   ac_tnc_port=com1
>   ac_gps_port=com2
>   AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([TNC_PORT], "$ac_tnc_port", [Default TNC port.])
>   AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([GPS_PORT], "$ac_gps_port", [Default GPS port.])
>   AC_MSG_RESULT(found $ac_tnc_port and $ac_gps_port)
>   ])
>

> This will force it to skip detection and use com1 and com2 as the
> defaults.  Start at the "./bootstrap.sh" step again after making
> this change.
>
> Jack/Chuck:  Is there an easy way to allow people to get past this
> without hacking the code?  There've been at least two other Windows
> users that have had this problem, where it hangs on the port
> detection.

I just added a note about this to README.win32.  I'd rather have a
fix though that allows the Windows users with these particular
systems to not get hung up there.

With a fix for the above and with the terraserver/toposerver tweak
that makes them work again in-hand, I'd like to put out another
stable release.  If we don't do that, a lot of people are going to
get hung up one or both of those.  It's unfortunate that we have to
keep coding around external software and/or sites that keep changing
things, but that's the way of the world I guess.

Should we just combine the "XASTIR_SET_SYSTEM" and the
"XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES" portions in acinclude.m4?  That way we won't
have to try to detect com1.